Saturday, May 24, 2008

funny?

As we've talked lately about "final things", I wanted to share a bit more. With the teens lately, on Sunday nights, we had been doing a study on the book of revelation. Mostly the fact that this book is the Revelation of Jesus Christ...and NOT a road map for what is to come.

Over the past few months, if I've wanted to have an interesting, and one-sided conversation with someone, all I needed to do was mention the above fact.

Most people are quick to agree that the book is all about revealing Jesus Christ, but then just as quick to say things like:

"Well, it won't matter anyway. The way the world is today, it can't be long before we all get raptured out of here."

"I just hope I'm a part of that 144,000 that God protects."

"I just know that God has blessed our country so far, because we've stood with the Jews. As long as we continue, we should be alright."

"You can be sure I won't be getting one of them microchips inserted under my skin. The mark of the beast, you know."

All of the above statements were said by protestant, "born-again" Christians.

I believe this backs up my previous thoughts, that these things are definitely NOT peripheral aspects of our faith. The way these people are living, and their perceived mission of the Church comes precisely from these areas, and none of these is helpful: (in order, as above)

"I'm focusing on what will happen AFTER I leave this nasty place."

"I'm afraid that I'm going to somehow 'miss out' on God's best."

"God favors our country, but only because we protect the Jews."

"I'm afraid of accidentally supporting the anti-Christ....is that him? or is that him? or is that him? whew, that one's not him, I can support him I guess."

Lord help us.

3 comments:

The One and Only said...

It concerns me some that you may be discounting the opinions of those who may share different views. For as much as you think that it is convincing that the book of Revelation is simply about the revelation of Christ, there may be as much convincing information on how supernatural a rapture may turn out to be, or streets of gold turning into fact. We all know how much evangelical atheists work hard to disprove certain aspects of the Bible, and yet we've held onto faith that the truths we believe are grounded in facts/faith, but it seems lately you are doing the same thing to brothers and sisters who have different views of end times (end times meaning different than the status quo of how things are now). I can understand wishing people would let go of certain ignorant pursuits (waiting for heaven, want to be one of the 144,000, wish I was a Jew, etc. crap), but just because you've read a lot of books pushing theories which you think dismantle rapture-like ending of the world probably doesn't mean you should close your mind to the ideas you used to share. I'm just concerned that if someone wrote a book that was convincing enough you might just go be an atheist and forgo what your heart believes is right.

pastorwick said...

for the record, I'm saying...

- that we probably shouldn't believe we've figured everything out already, so let's close our bibles.

- that we haven't been created to burn in fire, OR float on clouds for eternity.

- that our work here (and now) for the Kingdom matters, and has an eternal impact.

- that the mission of the church isn't to get people to check a box, and then wait. (or even work really hard to get as many others to check that box too, so we can all wait together.)

- etc.

...to anyone who can get down with these things...or who would debate them...let's talk.

The One and Only said...

I like what you just said a lot better than the posts :).