Monday, May 26, 2008

in memorial...

From "The Day the World Stood Still", 1951. The alien Klaatu is attempting to meet with world leaders, to tell them that their recent discovery of atomic power is a good thing, but their intentions to harness the power for a weapon is a threat to more than just Earth. Because of this, they must stop the direction they're going, or they will be stopped.

Unfortunately, as the countries weren't exactly "getting along", the nations wouldn't agree to come together...each not trusting the motives and locations suggested by the others. Here we find this conversation between Mr.Harley (the government official attempting to offer this meeting to the nations) and Klaatu:

Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

And later we see a conversation between Klaatu, and a boy, Bobby, who is showing him around Washington D.C., not knowing he's an alien:

Bobby Benson: [indicating grave marker during a visit to Arlington] That's my father. He was killed at Anzio.
Klaatu: Did all those people die in wars?
Bobby Benson: Most of 'em. Didn't you ever hear of the Arlington Cemetery?
Klaatu: No, I'm afraid not.
Bobby Benson: You don't seem to know much about anything, do you, Mr. Carpenter?
Klaatu: Well, I'll tell you, Bobby, I've been away a long time. Very far away.
Bobby Benson: Is it different where you've been? Don't they have places like this?
Klaatu: Well, they have cemeteries, but not like this one. You see, they don't have any wars.
Bobby Benson: Gee, that's a good idea.

I definitely want to honor the men and women, families and friends world-wide that have been impacted by serving a country they believe in, and fighting for justice in situations that are unjust.

But I also think it's a good time for us to think about what our motives are, internationally, nationally, locally, and even in our relationships with others on a daily basis. What things get us "riled up". What would we "fight for"?

1 comment:

The One and Only said...

Not related to this post: Detroit better get their lifting/coordination muscles ready so they can avoid this.