Sunday, August 31, 2008

the politics of politics

So over the past, well....20 years that these prospects have been running for president, it's been interesting. Interesting to see people who have switched opinions, and to hear why. But I'm glad I can hear why in those cases at least. I don't care if you're gonna vote for McCain because of his favorite chicken souffle' recipe, or for Obama because he kicks butt at hide and seek. I'm just thankful for those who are willing to at least talk about it all.

It seems to be a "taboo" subject, especially at/around church stuff. Which I guess makes sense to an extent. We're not legally allowed to support one candidate over another. Although I've wondered if you even state both of the Dem/Rep. candidates names, are you favoring them over the Green/Libertarian parties? Or do they not count yet....until either of them gets a 5% vote to be on the ballot next time?

The answer I'm not a big fan of is, "I'm just not voting this year." Although maybe there's an incredibly relevant reason (you're not 18) that's out there I haven't heard yet. For the most part, I believe we are all each called to place our vote. As responsible citizens, who are participating in the world around them, etc.

But my logic probably takes this too far. We're called, as Christians, to be participatory in the world around us, and therefore Vote. And we each know that surely our duty is not to take the issue lightly, as I joked above. So that, each of us should have legitimate reasons to choose whatever candidate we are choosing. Neither candidate is a fool, having gained the support of their respective parties, and hundreds of thousands of voters. So you can be reasonably at peace that you have made a decent choice, whatever side you land on.

Understanding of "ALL things political" aside, and slander against either candidate being not necessary...shouldn't it be possible, and even useful, for us to be talking about these things together?

I understand that some people will follow a spiritual leader (even a flip-flop wearing fool of a fallen one) over a cliff without much thought. Because of that, I probably won't post who I'm voting for online. But for those who we've had great discussions with so far, and for those willing to bring it up over the next few months.....thanks. :)

3 comments:

Monogenes said...

I don't know who I'm voting for yet. But don't worry, I'm voting.

Ethiopianmomma said...

When I voted last I felt a deep sense of responsibility when the candidate that I supported made a choice that I on every single level of my being disagreed with, even mourned over. I felt genuinely responsible for this because of my vote.
I do believe that voting is important.
Here is my beef: Voting is not everything. It is one part of citizenship. Too many people vote and then sit around complaining about the leaders. If we vote then we should also be participating in bettering our communities on the local level on up. Voting in and of itself is not "being a responsible citizen".
If you support a candidate for their platforms then you should also be working towards those platforms apart from the candidate~ AND be ready and willing to participate as citizens and Christians when choices are made that you disagree with.
Perhaps politics is taboo because so many people feel ignorant and ultimately making people feel ignorant is rather taboo. And, for many politics is tied with oppression, persecution, and force rather than freedom.
But for us, yes we should all feel free to talk about these issues together. Enlighten one another. Talk. Learn. Laugh. Conversation.

pastorwick said...

true. I suppose I used "voting" as symbolic of being involved/caring. But like I said, it's definitely more than pulling a lever.

We are all ignorant to an extent, even the candidates can't usually speak on a topic without being briefed on it specifically for a long time. But the only remedy for that is, like you've said, participation. :)