Tuesday, September 30, 2008

now who's the nerd?


So I gotta admit, technology is pretty fascinating. As if being a regular blogger weren't enough...
Here are my guilty steps towards nerd-dom lately:

1. Adium (for MAC), and Pidgin (for PC). Using these multi-client chat programs, you can log on to yahoo, MSN, AIM, Myspace, Facebook, Google talk, and most other programs out there. All on one single buddy list. It makes it easier when you're a youth pastor and everyone prefers a different mode of chatting.

2. Twitter. You know how Facebook allows you to change your "status", and everyone can see what you're up to? Imagine being able to update a status from anywhere on your cell phone, and anyone who subscribes via their cell phone will receive the update. They can also simply receive the update on their twitter homepage. Create an account, you'll love it...and follow me: pastorwick

3. I Twitter my Facebook and my blog. You can connect twitter to your facebook account, so that your facebook status updates automatically whenever you twit. You can also create a small section of your blog (see right column) that updates whenever you twit.

4. Cha-Cha. You can text ANY question on ANY subject, ANY time of the day. A REAL person will search for the answer on the internet (if it's factual), or make one up on the spot (if it's an opinion). You can access the service on your cell phone by texting to 242-242 (cha-cha), or going to the link here. For proof of my nerdiness, I've just texted them the question, "How nerdy am I?".....to which they've sent the response: "My magic 8 Ball says the outlook is not so good."

5. I think I've read more books in the past year than all 4 years in college combined.

Well, guess I still have a long way to go. I actually have friends who know what linux is, and why it's awesome. As long as I still have them, I suppose my nerdiness is simply a mild infection. Nothing serious, yet.

1 comment:

Jake T said...

I've been listening to an awesome speech about Linux/free&open software/freedom of thought, etc.

He says that the struggle for freedom of thought is a struggle for justice.

that's pretty freakin' awesome.