Thursday, October 30, 2008

my friend...

I remember one of my friends growing up. He wasn't the brightest guy in the world, but he could always make me smile. I first met him at a summer camp, where he definitely changed the way many of us saw the grown-ups around us. It always seemed like he would accidentally get into serious trouble, but somehow got out of any serious consequences. He was awesome.

One Christmas, he had a particularly rough time, but it ended up being one of the best years ever in the end. That next year, he invited me to Splash Mountain with him. I totally wanted to go, but couldn't make it.

As we both grew a little older, I still valued our friendship. Even when he got mixed up with some friends in the "wrong crowd". He spent a small amount of time in jail, but was eventually released...once the truth got out. Looking back, it was kinda funny. He totally forgave society for that mess-up.

The next year, I remember was one of the scariest years for him. The stuff he went through that fall, I could hardly even bear hearing it all. There are very few things that truly frighten me, but some of the things he had to deal with still give me the shivers.

We kinda lost touch after that. I know he had some crazy rides, went back to school, played some basketball from what I've heard. He even traveled a bit overseas, and then joined the armed forces, though I didn't really keep tabs on how that went. Never really heard of him after that, although I think he passed away back in 2000...








I can't believe most local video places don't even carry him anymore....sigh.

Ernest Goes to Camp (1987)
Ernest Saves Christmas (1988)
Ernest Goes to Splash Mountain (1989)
Ernest Goes to Jail (1990)
Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)
Ernest Rides Again (1993)
Ernest Goes to School (1994)
Slam Dunk Ernest (1995)
Ernest Goes to Africa (1997)
Ernest In the Army (1998)

Know what I mean, Vern?

No comments: