Saturday, October 04, 2008

seriously???

If you, like me, have done anything on the internet with most larger religious organizations, you've learned what I've learned. They're as bad, if not worse, than most larger corporations at sharing your e-mail with all the companies that they do business with.

Because of this, I get e-mails all the time from stuff I have no interest in, telling me I should be interested. The most recent of which, is a doozy.
Dear Friends,

In the coming weeks your vote is going to play a crucial role in the battle for the hearts and minds of all Americans -- and it is not your vote in the Presidential election.

On October 3, 2008 -- Hollywood is holding an election -- where your vote is the price of a movie ticket -- and your participation is key to the emerging culture war. Two films will be released on October 3 with two very different messages. The militant pro-atheism documentary Religilous and David Zucker's pro-America, pro-faith comedy An American Carol.

Bill Maher has said: "We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that -- I think religion stops people from thinking. I think it justifies crazies."

On the contrary, David Zucker set out to make An American Carol a film that celebrates America as a country founded on the principles of faith. If you are one of the so-called "religious" crazies who wants to be heard LOUD and CLEAR by Hollywood -- come out to the theater on October 3rd and buy a ticket for An American Carol.

Thanks,

Stephen McEveety
Producer of The Passion of the Christ

I'd actually have to agree a little with Maher on this one, and the fact that I received this e-mail kinda proves his point. Religion CAN unfortunately be something that stops people from thinking, and CAN be something that people use to justify doing crazy things. It might even make someone think the "battle for the hearts and minds of all Americans" could be won by me buying a movie ticket.

They both look like movies I wouldn't pay money to go see. Although honestly, I'd rather see An American Carol because it looks like it might have a plot, even if it's not a very good one. Religulous looks like it might actually be beneficial for some of us to watch, simply to be aware of how many of our faiths and others can come across to the world we're called to reflect God in.

2 comments:

bradzurcher said...

yeah, the worst movies, books, and people are the ones who make you think [note the sarcasm]. it's true that people have been lead down the wrong paths by thinking. however, many more now understand what they believe and why because they have had to test their faith. thinking is a step towards spiritual maturity. i don't know how anyone could consider themselves spiritually mature while only believing what they believe because that's what the learned in sunday school. yet this is the level of maturity of way more that i'd like to admit.

The Maze Monster said...

I have not seen religulous yet but plan to. I hope that it achieves it's goal which Bill Maher states is "not to convert people, but to get people talking about religion."