Monday, November 10, 2008

the mini-van has changed...

When I was in high school, I was friends with a couple of the coolest guys I knew. They weren't cool because they were athletic. They weren't cool because they were good with the ladies. They were cool because, when many of us were getting hand-me-down vehicles, and $400 junkers from whatever lot had one available; these guys won the contest.

Why? When we all got 4-door beasts that would throw a deer 50 feet upon impact, these guys got minivans. (one hit a dog, and it flew a few feet...but nowhere near as fun as hitting a deer)

Their world (by my eyes) became full of the ability to haul around between 6 (legally), and 13 (not so legally) teenagers to and from any event/venue we wanted to hit up on any given evening. I envied them, every time I crammed 5 people uneasily into my 1984 Delta 88'.

I wanted a mini-van. I wanted that "hangout" on wheels. We had so many good times in other peoples' mini-vans. I couldn't wait until someday, I got a turn.

It's my turn now.

Something has changed.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm older. Maybe it's because I'm wiser. Maybe it's the 2 kids that seem to be everywhere I go. :)

Or maybe, it's because I'm paying for the van, it's upkeep, and gas.

Still....I love it.

No comments: