Tuesday, December 16, 2008

STAY AT HOME PARENTS' DAY

Yeah, so my wife is pretty much incredible.

Just in case you haven't noticed. I remember before children entered our life. The mental picture that came up with someone saying, "I'm a stay at home mom". Oh really? Must be nice. You get to stay at home with the kids. Make cookies. Play in the yard. Just relax all day.

I gotta admit, even when we realized we wanted Sarah to be a stay at home mom. That for us, it was important, even if it meant sacrificing a little financially. I was a tad jealous.

My jealousy has faded quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love our kids. Addie and Sophie, and even cousin Ella who visits a few days each week. They're incredible. The wonder in their moments of discovery. The way the older ones get sooooo excited over running in circles in the kitchen, whether Barney is singing in the air or only in their minds. The way Sophie loves the older girls, and crawls as fast as she can to be a part of what they're doing. I am jealous that I miss many of those moments.

But I'm not so jealous of the not so pretty aspects of these growing girls. The whining. The learning of the concept of "sharing". The potty training, which is a lot more about potty going elsewhere than actually in the potty. The messes, with no ability to point blame, and no one to help you clean up but yourself.

Not sure if there is a "Stay at Home Parent Day", but there probably should be. A weekday where any working parent switches spots with all of those parents who usually stay home everyday with the kids. They can go out on the town. Or they can just nap all day. Whatever they wanna do.

I'm gonna claim one, and ya'll can help me spread it.
We've got plenty of time to get the word out.

I officially declare that March 10th, will from here on out be called "STAY AT HOME PARENTS DAY", to be observed in the way I've described above. Tell your friends, and your neighbors, and your friends friends, and their parents too. We've got over 3 months to get the message out.

MARCH 10th = STAY AT HOME PARENT'S DAY - The working parent must stay home with the kids, and the stay at home parent is allowed a free day to do "whatever". If you agree and want to sign the petition, then GO TO THE ONLINE PETITION AND SIGN IT, then have all your friends do it too!!

4 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

Sophie is crying in the background as I write this b/c she doesn't want to take her nap, Addie is singing "Jingle Bells" while pretending to nap in her bed and me... I am going to go try and get a few minutes of sleep too. Thanks for the post, March 10th... I'm looking forward to it. :<)

Ethiopianmomma said...

Woot Woot. One of my new favorite days is March 10th. Just wrote it on the calendar. :)

Darin and Cassie said...

Why March 10th? :)

Karen said...

Hey! Just wanted to say that I love your blog and read it a lot! Especially for such fantastic ideas as "Stay at Home Parent's Day!" Maybe you should run that one by Josh :)