Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 2: Wesley and Stuff.

Learning big words has never been a priority of mine. Using them in everyday english has also never been something I've tried to do on purpose, except when in jest (ie. "boy, that was a 10 point word, eh?"). But I have been pretty good at noticing big words, and appreciating just how smart someone would have to be to have made them up, or to use them on a daily basis.

The word? Supralapsarianism. What does it mean? Well, within the Calvinist theology, it supposes that God, contemplating man as yet unfallen, chose some to receive eternal life and rejected all others. Basically that even without the fall, some were chosen for eternal life, and others for separation from God.

That would be opposed to "Infralapsarianism", which says
God's decree to permit the fall logically preceded His decree of election. Meaning, God allowed the fall, and then in response to the fall - chose some to save and some not to.

Calvinists feel free to call me out on those. I'm definitely no expert.

Besides that interesting note, today was great. Plenty of reading full of the wisdom of John Wesley, as well as studying the great movements in theology since 400 AD that informed his own. I especially enjoy the renewed sense of sanctification as "perfecting love", or "perfect love" lately. I would confess, I have a hard time loving some people sometimes, and with that knowledge, I seek that God would continue to work on my heart towards His Kingdom.

Looking forward to the days ahead, while still missing the ability to hold Addie before bed, to dance with Sophie in the kitchen, to kiss my wife just because. Looking forward to returning home for God to perfect my love there....

1 comment:

Sarah Anne said...

Doing all that for you... except the kissing your wife part. You'll have to handle that when you come home.

Love you