Wednesday, February 11, 2009

memories...

I was a chubby kid.

I remember in 5th grade our school had a program where you could walk circles around the outside of the school during lunch time. (I know, ah the entertaining activities of the Midwest.) They would keep track of how many times you had gone around the school, and at the end of the year there would be presentations with certificates saying how many miles you had achieved.

It was genius. Cost efficient, and physically rewarding recreational activities, that required little to no adult interaction/control. Even more genius was how I got out of it, without having to look lazy, and was still rewarded.

I became a "Chipper Flipper".

They kept track of your mileage like this: every time you circled the school building, you would receive a red bingo chip from a 4th-5th grade student who was an approved "Chipper Flipper". At the end of the lunch period, you would turn in the chips you had accumulated, and the volunteers would take the data and submit it to the gym teacher, Ms. Fox.

I was involved in the walking. I was able to be social. I was able to chillax. And I had a legitimate excuse why I was not walking circles going no where myself. After all, SOMEONE had to sacrifice themselves to make sure others received their chips.

And, at the end of the school year, the gym teacher took all the "Chipper Flippers" out for ice cream. It was a win/win situation really. Oh, except....well....I never really learned to appreciate regular purposeful cardiovascular exercise.

But the ice cream was awesome. I remember getting the crazy big one with like 10 scoops in one bowl. Insane, man. Truly insane. :) God bless Eaton Rapids, Michigan.

No comments: