Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rented a bad movie lately?

Lately it seems my movie choices have been lacking something. It culminated in agreeing to watch "Lakeview Terrace" with some family this past weekend. Seriously, no clue what Samuel Jackson was thinking, unless it was "I need a movie that tries to make "Snakes on a Plane" look better." Just an absolute mess in every regard. Bad lines, unbelievably predictable/cheesy, bad acting, and even when the good guy won in the end - it left you wondering why you watched the whole thing.

So Monday night, when my wife texted me RedBox's free Monday Code, I knew I had to do better this time. The new releases were all predictable, seen, or undesirable. So I turned to some older recent dvd's. My eye was caught by one I hadn't heard much about, but had a decent actor and the plot sounded interesting/human. And it was PG-13 - which we all know is the 80's "R". But I figured it was worth a shot.

It was a great movie. (watch the preview)

I don't want to say much more, and of course - it's not perfect. But I'm not sure what I would have changed (maybe left out the small amount of cussing in one scene.) For anyone who is hungry for a movie that will inspire and challenge you at the same time, as well as come as a breath of fresh air to anyone who's watched the garbage that seems to dominate box offices - rent this movie. Especially if it's a free redbox code night. :)

It captures well the struggle anyone approaching the issue of immigration should have.

No comments: