Friday, April 03, 2009

geeked

So I am a bit excited. This has the potential to be one of the best years of hockey in a long time. You can see why I'm just a little geeked by going here. But just in case you're afraid of clicking links from a source like me....here's why:

I live in Central Illinois. I'm 3 hours away from the Chicago Blackhawks. I'm 2 hours away from the Saint Louis Blues. I'm from Michigan, and I'm so much a Detroit Redwings fan that I actually bleed red. (totally true, no lie.) Yet, as surrounded as I am by great hockey, it's rare to actually see it or hear it talked about publicly/socially. It's never as obvious as it is during the playoffs. That most exciting timeof the year, where I usually sit alone in my basement, all geared up and IBC in hand...sometimes with a friend or two who are curious why people watch the sport.

But this year could be different. This could be the year where many Illinoisans pick up the title of "hockey fan".

"But why?" you may ask. Why would this year be different from any other year?

Right now as I write this, the Blackhawks are currently number 4 in the Western Conference. They are totally going to the playoffs for the first time in 7 years. The Blues are currently tying with about 2 other teams for 7th, 8th, and 9th place right now. Four games left, and they could totally be within the top 8 teams!!

To clarify: This year, the Wings, Blackhawks, AND Blues could all be in the playoffs!!!

It's been 7 years since all 3 teams were in the playoffs. In 2002, the economy was better, and the rules for hockey had not been changed to make it a more competitive/higher scoring game. With a horrible economy, and higher scoring - and the tension between Central Division teams - the people of Illinois are ripe for an uprising of Hockey Fanatics. We need this.

So watch some hockey during the next week, and cheer on those Blues to a 7th or 8th place finish...only about 4 games left!

update: just realized it could totally happen that the Blues play the Wings in the first round of the playoffs....now THAT would be AWESOME. Anyone wanna try and go?

No comments: