Saturday, May 09, 2009

reading...

So lately as I've been finishing up classwork for ordination, preparing the home for our 3rd daughter, writing a fiction book for fun, and getting ready to do two weddings for friends and family that I love in the month of May...I've been reading.

The book I'm reading is called "Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction" by David Kuo. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much. It was on sale for like 3 bucks at the local Waldenbooks. But I think especially at a time where the Democrat party has taken a large majority of the powers that be, it can be a very important read.

Kuo entered into politics and became active in the world of Washington, D.C. in order to change the world for Jesus Christ. He learned some very important lessons along the way, lessons that it seems many people could use right now. About what Government can, and can't provide. About what Jesus actually desires out of our political system. Here's a brief excerpt:

"Ironically, opposing sin became a sort of substitute for pursuing God. Opposing political policies is very easy when compared to some of Jesus' daunting challenges - loving my neighbor as myself, denying myself and following him, loving those who hated me, serving those who were sick. Jesus required my life. Politics required only my attention. And I really, really loved politics." pg.32

Not the most exciting read, in fact I can't say I've read more than a chapter at a time. But it's interesting to hear the way a lot of things that seem to "have it all figured out" in Washington actually work behind closed doors. But then again, maybe you wouldn't be too surprised by it all...

No comments: