Monday, June 15, 2009

neophilia

A concept that came up in my current read, that I would have to agree with even if I don't agree with where he goes with it, is this:

There is a "neophilia of our culture that needs balancing with the celebration of the wisdom of the centuries precisely for the sake of faithfulness to the biblical text."

In other words, many people these days are more in love with something new, doing something new/different, or seeing something in a new light; than actually being faithful to what is right/needed.

You see it/hear about it in ministry often, unfortunately. What is the newest or hippest church in town doing? Wouldn't it be great if we could do this "new thing" that would "probably" bring in a lot more (young adults/teens/ethnic diversity/inner city people/rich people/families/etc.)?

"I can't wait to (start my own church someday) so I can do it without serving all of these old traditions." - Some pastors seem to say. I would agree only to the extent that yes, if you're serving a tradition - stop. If you're serving God or His people....then do what you do. :)

I'm in my late twenties. I'm in youth ministry. Some would probably assume I don't like hymns, I think all church activities should be home cells of some sort, and follow Rob Bell or Mark Driscoll like they're prophets of today.

Well, I like the hymns (even though it's hard for me to lead singing them with an organ). I do think the Church should do more stuff in homes, but I also love the idea of getting together for a purposeful time within the space that is "set apart" as the Church building. And as for Bell and Driscoll...well, Bell has some neat stuff. But no author/speaker could take the place of Scripture.

I do enjoy many "new things", but I do try and make sure it is not the "newness" of something that draws me to it. Of course, that will happen sometimes. That's why I believe in doing ministry within a denomination that I love and commit to. We commit, as Pastors and as lay members, to keep each other accountable as we seek to follow Christ, the Word of God, and work towards His Kingdom coming.

May we get excited/refreshed/energized not by the "new things" we do...but by the new things God has been doing for thousands of years.

Revelation 21:5
"
And the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new."...

1 comment:

Ethiopianmomma said...

Hmm...I like that quote also in terms of parenthood. People are always publishing new books, new theories, new techniques for how to raise kids and be a "good" parent as if it is really something that can be cutting edge.