Monday, March 08, 2010

the one for me...

At some point, the myth of God having "one person in store for me", whom I had to find or life would never work out right faded. Which may sound like an odd way to begin a blog, just after spending a week rekindling my relationship with my spouse, but allow me to explain.

Because of letting go of such a "romantic" notion that my wife was the one and only person in the universe God intended for me to spend life with, I think there was an aspect of our relationship I've never quite appreciated. The aspect that once my wife and I chose each other, and took the vows of marriage - we chose to become "the one" to each other. Which connects us to Adam and Eve in some pretty important ways.

The fact that God saw Adam, and thought "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner." Genesis 2:18

To be as thankful for my wife, as Adam was for Eve. To view her as a gift from God. To receive her as the divine gift that she is. To relate to her as God's completion to what he began in me. I think these are aspects of our relationship I've not really spent much time dwelling on.

In the midst of counseling/praying with countless young men who are trying to find "the one" God has for them, I've focused on how much of this process is a CHOICE. It's not a Disney fairy tale. The world emphasizes to "Marry the one you Love", but the Bible directs us to "love the one you marry". (quote from Weekend to Remember)

But in the midst of focusing on reason, and choice, and the atmosphere of it being less something we "fall into", and more something we consciously move toward on purpose - I've moved away from Adam receiving Eve. I don't think I'm alone.

In a world that is fast learning that the real world is a far cry from Cinderella's neck of the woods (i.e. "Enchanted"), we have many who view marriage as an economic partnership. This happens even among those of us who believe God has created and blessed this human endeavor with echoes of the Divine.

It's something that will and has taken humility to admit. But I thank God for my wife, and my prayer is that I will continue to receive her the way Adam received Eve, "..this at last is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh;" - Genesis 2:23

I love it.