8 Teenagers, 2 adults, and 9 days together. San Diego, California. Pursuing Jesus, tearing down walls that compete with genuine community, and opening up to hear from God as individuals. Pulling up our shirt sleeves and getting a bit dirty caring for God's creation. Putting on our swim suits and enjoying God's creation. Recognizing during high energy worship, and quiet solitude that we ARE God's creation. Connecting with others who are seeking Jesus from all over the country. And yes, even teenagers figuring out the kinda guy or girl they may be interested in someday. :)
It was quite a trip, no lie. Each teen could give you a completely different story of which part they enjoyed, or how God met/spoke/transformed their lives. Our prayer is that this continues in the lives of those who came, and that same Spirit that is already active in our group would be even more effective as more are in tune with His Voice.
Oh, and did I mention I love teenagers? Here's a brief list of recent reasons:
-They look for life. Like a toddler learning to walk for the first time, they seek new experiences, and smile really big when they find one.
- Their ability to make fun of each other for something, and then go off and do the exact same thing. :)
- The desire to take serious things lightly, and light things seriously.
- D.R.A.M.A., and the fact that I can look in as into a fishbowl nowadays. :)
- When really tapped into....their desire/openness to the Spirit's leading can be completely remarkable
- . The fact that one can, surrounded by incredibly fresh salsa's just 5 minutes from Tijuana, purchase a jar of Tostidos brand from the grocery section.
- The surprise to learn that all 4 teenage boys are actually big fans of iCarly. Seriously?
- That even after a long discussion about wanting to be more open with our faith, and pro-active in our prayers...when closing small group time....it was pulling teeth to get a volunteer to close us in prayer. :)
- That I can see God leading each of them now and in the future...to an identity of someone who offers an infinite amount towards His Kingdom, and is being a part of it even today!!!
Church For The Unwelcomed
5 weeks ago